[mythtv-users] MythVideo not reading metadata

Jarom McDonald jarom_mcdonald at byu.edu
Tue Dec 15 17:33:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:13 PM, Jarom McDonald <jarom_mcdonald at byu.edu>
> wrote:
> > I'm currently running Mythbuntu 9.04, in which I've upgraded all the
> MythTV
> > packages to JYA's 0.22 fixes. I'd never had MythVideo installed until a
> few
> > weeks ago, where I added in 5 SMB folders (they're mounted by the OS on
> > boot) for MythVideo to scan (without using storage groups, as some of my
> > videos will require mplayer).
> > The videos play just fine. Yesterday, however, I took a shot at loading
> > metadata. After doing so using the tmdb automated scripts for about 200
> > videos, I left MythVideo. When I re-entered it, the video list appeared
> > again, but did so metadata-less. It was as if I had never run the tmdb
> > script on any of the videos.
> > The really strange thing, however, is that the videometadata table in the
> > mythconverg DB still has the proper information, and everything looks
> fine
> > with it. It has the right paths to the files, the proper location of the
> fan
> > art/cover art (which is all still there, too), the full descriptions that
> > had been downloaded, etc. MythVideo just doesn't associate it with the
> > videos, however. If I rerun the metadata download script again, it makes
> > new entry in the videometadata table, which is then subsequently ignored
> > when I leave MythVideo and come back in.
> > What in the videometadata table is MythVideo looking for that it doesn't
> > seem to be finding? Does it work off of the full video file path? Could
> the
> > fact that the "folders" MythVideo is pointed at are really Samba mounts
> be
> > an issue here? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
>

> Sounds a lot like you're trying to grab metadata for file entries in
> file browse mode, rather than scanning properly.  Are you actually
> running a scan?  Are you in file browse mode?  What happens when you
> turn it off?
>
> Robert

No, I'm in metadata browse mode with the "gallery" view; but your question
prompted me to check all of my Media settings, and sure enough, there's a
setting that says "Video List Loads Meta Data" which had been unchecked
(likely inadvertently on my part). I flipped that setting and, sure enough,
the video list started loading the metadata, just like it ought to.

Many thanks, and my apologies for the somewhat inane problem!

Jarom

--
Jarom McDonald
Assistant Research Professor, Humanities Technology