[mythtv-users] Windows Media Center w/ Cable Card used as MythTV Tuner

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Dec 14 16:45:27 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:01:37AM -0500, Josh White wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Melvin J. Cureton
> > <melvincureton at melcrys.com> wrote:
> > > Does anyone know if it would be possible to record in MythTV from a Cable
> > > Card equipped Windows Media  Center pc?
> >
> > Lot's of things are possible.  The important question is, is it
> > practical?  I'd guess no on this one.
> >
> > My understanding of why the drivers for these cards are Windows-only
> > is that the files generated are DRM'd up the wazoo.  The cable
> > companies are so worried about you sharing their content on P2P
> > networks that they want to make sure that it's far easier just to
> > download the content off a P2P network than it is to get full access
> > to the content by purchasing it from them.
> >
> > Putting together a Windows Media Center PC to avoid needing to
> > purchase an HDPVR and rent a STB probably wouldn't save much money
> > anyway.
> >
> > Eric
> >
> But if you already had a Windows Media Center PC...

...assuming you could by such a cablecard tuner and it would
play nice with your current hardware and whatever version of
MCE you happen to have.

The problem with Cable Cards is that they are specifically
engineered to cause trouble. They don't seem to be terribly
available. You would probably be better off just buying a
new PC to get one. It's all pretty theoretical anyways.

Then once you have that all figured out, your local landline
cable company might move to some other technology like tru2way
and make that entire effort moot anyways.

CC seems specifically designed to avoid it's mandate.