[mythtv-users] Looking to build first mythtv box

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Mon Dec 14 15:15:37 UTC 2009

Rod Smith wrote:

First, HDMI is electrically compatible with the more common (on computers)
DVI; all you need is an appropriate cable or adapter. DVI lacks audio output,
though, so you may need another cable if you plan to use the TV for sound.
Cables are overpriced at brick-and-mortar retailers, but they're reasonably
priced at NewEgg, and downright cheap on eBay. So don't get hung up on HDMI,
with DVI being very common. Also, most new HD TVs have VGA inputs. If you've
already got a TV without a VGA input, of course, having HDMI or DVI is
important. If your TV has VGA input, though, consider my tale....

--
Rod Smith
Sound through DVI to HDMI cable or adapter works on many video cards. Many of the descrete video cards have a connector that lets you loop through the SPDIF signal from you motherboard or soundcard. As for integrated graphics I don't have any experience.