[mythtv-users] Installing mythbuntu with myth 22 using latest nvidia drivers

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 22:32:29 UTC 2009

> I think this could be a little misleading.
> I use Mythbuntu 9.10 and do not use Jean-Yves repos, and I am able to
> change to the newer Nvidia binary drivers without having to 'reinstall
> mythtv'.

The standard mythbuntu mythtv packages are compiled against
nvidia-185-libvdpau. So when you switch to 190 you switched to
nvidia-190-libvdpau, and therefore you have to reinstall myth to a
version that was compiled against that file. You don't have to reset
stuff up. Aptitude should just pull in the packages for you. But if
there is some issue then you are left to figure out if it is the new
driver or because you reinstalled mythtv. It is just cleaner to have
the mythtv packages separated from the vdpau drivers. You can update
drivers that are the same version (ie 190.xx to 190.yy) without
reinstalling myth. But you can't switch between major drivers with the
standard packages without reinstalling mythtv.