[mythtv-users] New myth system - video card temp ok?

Rick rbonafied at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 19:50:51 UTC 2009

Hi,

I recently put together a new mythtv system after my old one died.  For
the video card, I ordered an ASUS EN210/DI/512MD2 (Geforce 210 512MB).
Unfortunately, I wasn't thinking and ordered a card with a fan.

When the fan is hooked up it is rather loud.  I read somewhere that the
card can be overclocked quite a bit and that acceptable temps when
overclocked are in the range up to around 80C.  For myth usage, I
figured I wouldn't need to overclock so I wanted to see what the card
temp was if I disconnected the fan.

At rest, the card is around 52C.
When watching a non-HD feed the card comes in around 60C.
When watching HD with VDPAU, the card hits around 90C.

In your opinion, do you think I'm asking for trouble with the card
heating up to around 90-100C?  What do you think is an acceptable temp?

Thank you,