[mythtv-users] scaling/stretching of video..

Thomas Mørch tmorch at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 16:03:17 UTC 2009

2009/12/12 Rod Smith <mythtv at rodsbooks.com>

> On Saturday 12 December 2009 03:22:01 am Thomas Mørch wrote:
> > Is it possible to stretch video horizontally, WITHOUT doing it vertical?
> >
> > I'm trying to get everything shown, but so far, if I wan't to see the
> whole
> > video frame, then I get black borders on the sides, even with 16:9
> content.
> > So it seems that the video is squeezed a little.
> >
> > I tried to set fill to horizontal stretch, but that also stretches the
> > video vertically, which I do not want to do..
>
> First, do you see black borders just in the video, or in your MythTV menus,
> as
> well? If the former, then have you configured MythTV to use separate video
> modes for menus and for video? If you DON'T see borders in your menus AND
> if
> you've NOT configured MythTV to use different video modes, then it sounds
> like the borders are in the source material. If so, you should be able to
> see
> the borders in the previews shown in the recording list, or when playing
> the
> files in mplayer or other tools in a window. IIRC, this can be fixed by
> adjusting the displacement and scaling settings in MythTV. Go into the
> playback settings; these options are on the second page. I'm not 100%
> positive those are the correct settings, though; I could be confusing them
> with something else.
>
> If you see black borders in menus OR if you've set the system to use
> different
> video modes for playback, then it sounds to me like your video
> configuration
> is off -- or alternatively, that your TV/monitor isn't properly synced to
> your video card's output. (To be sure, if you're using a different mode for
> playback than for menus, you should disable this option.) If I'm right, you
> might be able to improve matters by using xvidtune to sync your display to
> your screen and/or by adjusting the picture's position on your TV/monitor.
> If
> you use xvidtune, you may need to create a custom Modeline from its results
> to put in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

It was only video, when I changed settings so the theme fitted the screen,
then the video had black borders, and if I changed theme so that I had full
screen video, then the theme was cropped at the borders.

After fiddling with resolutions, x/y scaling for 3 days, I found a setting
in the database "GuiSizeForTV" that was set to 1. After changing that to 0,
and changing x/y scaling I finaly have a "perfect" picture.

Only thing that I wonder about, is that my resolution for the screen is only
680x480 pixels, even though i'm in the PAL area...

/ Thomas