[mythtv-users] Internal player has problems in myth

Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org
Sun Dec 13 13:12:18 UTC 2009

>On Sat Dec 12 23:43 , Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Kevin Ross <kevin at familyross.net> wrote:
>> Allen Edwards wrote:

>>> I think when I upgrade it will be with a new HD and a fresh install.
>>> Not now though.
>>>
>>> I can play with videos with VLC just fine and I have considered
>>> switching to that to try and improve the WAF of video watching.
>>>
>>> This http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VLC seems to give a pretty good
>>> overview but also seems to leave a few things out.  For example, it
>>> says what the command is but it doesn't say where to put it.  Should
>>> be obvious right.  Like the internal default issue I had at first
>>> nothing is obvious imho.  I try to be very clear in my digital audio
>>> wiki but I am sure many people find it cryptic.
>>>
>>> VLC seems to have some other nice features so I might spend time
>>> trying to use it rather than upgrading right now.  I just wanted to
>>> give the internal player a chance by asking this list before going
>>> away from it.  That was a suggestion from one of the wikis I read
>>> before posting.
>>>
>>> Thanks again,
>>>
>>> Allen
>>>

>> Okay since you are familiar with VLC and you know it works, use that.  As
>> for where to put the command, it's really up to you.  Do you want to use it
>> for all videos, or just .iso files?  If you want it for all videos, go to
>> Media Settings->Videos Settings->Player Settings, and make it your default
>> video player.  If you want it for only .iso's, go to Media Settings->Videos
>> Settings->File Types, go to "iso" and put the player command there.
>>
>> Follow the advice of the wiki.  Make it fullscreen.  Disable the OSD.  Map
>> the key bindings so they match what MythTV uses.  Add commands to the
>> .lircrc file if you're using LIRC.  These last two items should drastically
>> improve the WAF.
>>
>> -- Kevin
>>

>Thanks.  That helps.  I now have a new project for the next rainy day
>(tomorrow).
>
>Allen

I haven't found "Internal" ready for primetime either in 0.22

Issues:
Bad sync issues from some files: Both audio and subtitle
Can't play my h264/mkv rips due to the blocking problem. I haven't tried the patch, but to be honest don't want to be bothered with recompiling it every time there's an update. I stick to the Avenard repos, and presumably at some point the issues will be fixed.

The good news is that with Jean Yves framerate sync patch it plays less jerkily than the alternatives. So I do use it for files which it can handle.

Otherwise I use Mplayer for h264/mkv rips and xine for isos.

It's not ideal, but at least I can play my media.

As for the waf, I have it mostly sorted using sensible lirc mappings.

Cheers!
Marius