[mythtv-users] CPU load when watching TV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Dec 13 13:09:03 UTC 2009

On Sunday 13 December 2009 05:54:46 am lee wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 05:07:18PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Saturday 12 December 2009 04:54:09 pm lee wrote:
> > > On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 04:23:52PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> > >
> > > Debian testing, amd64, Phenom 965, GeForce GT 240
> >
> > Is this a combined backend/frontend?
>
> yes
>
> Maybe it's normal? It seems to be recording everything I watch and to
> mark for commercials. Doing that could explain a higher load than
> other programs cause which don't do that.

You can configure whether commflagging starts immediately when
recording, and on a fast machine it doesn't take much longer than real time.
While playing back, the system does need to query mysql to see if it should
skip, so that's some load.

But it sounds like you are getting to where you want to be.

There are remote receivers that don't interface to a capture card, but are
direct USB devices. You'll probably find you like a remote, and non-computer
types find it more intuitive (good for the WAF).

Changing the window size while watching would require playing back in a
window (as opposed to full screen), that too is configurable.