[mythtv-users] Internal player has problems in myth

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sat Dec 12 23:12:20 UTC 2009

On Saturday 12 December 2009 04:18:35 pm Kevin Ross wrote:

> Also, what version of MythTV?  The internal player in 0.22 works much
> better for DVDs than the one in 0.21.  There were many DVDs that the
> menu wouldn't work, or would cause the player to freeze, in 0.21, that
> now work fine in 0.22.

FWIW, I've found that the internal player in 0.22 has serious problems with
audio/video sync on DVDs. It was bad enough that it was unusable in my first
installation, using the packages provided with the default Ubuntu 9.10
system. I've since upgraded to the Avenard Ubuntu packages
(http://www.avenard.org/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Ubuntu_Repository.html). They
improve matters a lot, but the AV sync still tends to drift by a noticeable
amount over a few minutes, and sometimes playback starts out bad. Pausing and
then unpausing fixes it, but it's still quite annoying.

I've got a number of other 0.22 annoyances to deal with, but they're not
matters for this thread. There are also advantages to 0.22, of course.
Overall, I'd be wary of an upgrade to 0.22 -- it's usable, but if my
experience is any guide, it's got a lot more rough edges than 0.21 does.

--
Rod Smith