[mythtv-users] Internal player has problems in myth

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Sat Dec 12 21:18:35 UTC 2009

Allen Edwards wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Kevin Ross <kevin at familyross.net> wrote:
>
>> Allen Edwards wrote:
>>
>>> Is this the right string to play videos?
>>> mplayer -fs -zoom -quiet -vo xv %s
>>>
>>> I have a few problems.
>>> 1) On some videos, I get to a still, like the parental warning, and everything hangs there.  Have to restart X to get out.
>>> 2) On some videos, the menu shows only cursor positions, no text or background image so you can't tell what to do.
>>> 3) There are skips on the audio.  This I can live with and think it is probably in the video itself but thought I would list it.
>>>
>>> The only one I trouble shot is the first and mplayer can play past the parental warning when started outside myth.  In cases 1 and 2 using VLC plays the video fine but the WAF is non-existent for this mode so I have to do it.  If myth won't play the video when I am not there, the video doesn't get watched.
>>>
>>> I updated mplayer to 1.0rc2-4.2.4 which I think is the latest one.  No change.
>>>
>>> Allen
>>>
>> 1 and 2 make it sound as if you're trying to play DVDs (.iso images or VIDEO_TS folders), as opposed to, say, .avi or .mkv files.  I've never had good results playing DVDs with mplayer.  I always use Internal for DVDs.  Internal player also has much higher WAF than mplayer.
>>

> OK, I am stupid.  The mplayer command is the "default" player but
> "mythdvd.DVDPlayerCommand" is set to "Internal" so I guess I am not
> using mplayer.  So, I just changed the subject (causing the thread to
> break sorry).
>
> You are correct that I am playing .iso images.
>
> Same problems, but with the internal player.
>
> Allen

Actually, playing .iso files uses whatever you have configured under
Media Settings->Videos Settings->File Types.  Go to "iso" and see what
it is configured to use.  If set to "use default player", then it will
use the default video player command, NOT the DVD player command.  So,
in this case, if "iso" was set to "use default player", it would in fact
be using mplayer, not Internal.

Also, what version of MythTV?  The internal player in 0.22 works much
better for DVDs than the one in 0.21.  There were many DVDs that the
menu wouldn't work, or would cause the player to freeze, in 0.21, that
now work fine in 0.22.

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin