[mythtv-users] Myth with Windows Home Server

Derek & Cindi Cass cass at casscoenterprises.com
Fri Dec 11 22:25:51 UTC 2009

>> I personally use it as my firewall,
>> email server (IMAP with popfetch to my various providers), file server,
and
>> dhcp server.
>>

>I don't want to tell you how to run your network and it may not be that big
>of a deal for a residential situation, but it's typically not a great idea
>to run your firewall and your file server on the same machine.  As long as
>everything is set up exactly correctly you should be fine, but it only
takes
>one little mistake in firewall rules to suddenly have all your files
exposed
>to the outside world.
>
>If those servers are truely free and run on any old hardware it should be
>fairly simple to run one just as a firewall and a second one, inside the
>firewall, for your other services.
>
>Anyway, as I said, it may not be a big deal for your current network, but I
>wanted to throw that out there for your benefit as well as for anyone else
>who may see this thread.
>
>Brad

I agree with the point you make about separating the firewall from the rest
of the servers on your network.  In this case, the ClarkConnect server is
designed to do all of this on one machine.  True, one little mistake in your
firewall can expose everything to the world, but that would still be the
case on a dedicated firewall.  As always, it's a matter of being careful.

There are other servers that come to mind that are also free (Smoothwall is
one) if a major concern is running a dedicated firewall.  I used
ClarkConnect because I just don't have enough spare hardware lying around
(although my wife might disagree) to build another server.

Oh, and did I mention that it's free?