[mythtv-users] Myth with Windows Home Server

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 18:41:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Derek & Cindi Cass <
cass at casscoenterprises.com> wrote:

> I personally use it as my firewall,
> email server (IMAP with popfetch to my various providers), file server, and
> dhcp server.

I don't want to tell you how to run your network and it may not be that big
of a deal for a residential situation, but it's typically not a great idea
to run your firewall and your file server on the same machine.  As long as
everything is set up exactly correctly you should be fine, but it only takes
one little mistake in firewall rules to suddenly have all your files exposed
to the outside world.

If those servers are truely free and run on any old hardware it should be
fairly simple to run one just as a firewall and a second one, inside the
firewall, for your other services.

Anyway, as I said, it may not be a big deal for your current network, but I
wanted to throw that out there for your benefit as well as for anyone else
who may see this thread.

Brad