[mythtv-users] IMON LCD backlight

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Fri Dec 11 01:48:10 UTC 2009

Ronald Frazier wrote:
>> Effectively the imon VFD does the same thing.  After powerdown it leaves
>> the nice little message, "thanks for using lcdproc and linux" to light a
>> dark room, whether you want it or not.  If a fix emerges for this on the
>> imon LCD, I'd be interested in trying it on the imon VFD, too.
>
> Well,. the backlight is one thing, and you cannot fix it. However,
> that message is specifically from lcdproc, and as far as I recall you
> can customize it. Although the backlight is annoyingly bright, the lit
> letters are even brighter, so if you customized the message to be
> blank (assuming thats possible), then at least it will be a little bit
> dimmer after you shutdown. But if your system can handle suspend to
> ram, that would be better (since the backlight will stay off).

Theoretically this particular system will do suspend to ram, and at some
point I'd really like to have that.  But from what I can tell, the USB
1.1 device can only wake a system from hibernation, and the USB 2.0
device can only wake it from suspend-to-ram.  My imon hooks in as a USB
1.1 device, and none of the dirty tricks I've tried, like blacklisting
OHCI to force EHCI to grab the device have worked.

Also on that topic, obviously the 5VSB supply goes the the imon, which
is why it can stay on when everything else is off.  I would think that
that's so that you can turn the thing on with a remote.  However I
haven't been able to do that.  Will the imon only turn it on with an
imon remote?  I have an rc6 remote that fails to turn it on.  This is
probably better for the LIRC list.  I just joined, and need to lurk
there for a little longer before posting.

Dale Pontius