[mythtv-users] The Boxee Box

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 10 22:34:48 UTC 2009

<brian at interlinx.bc.ca>wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 15:16 -0600, Mitch Gore wrote:
> > >         A perfect real world example of this point:
> > >
> > >         http://xkcd.com/488/
> > >
> > >         Jeff Walther
> > >

> > > Or just buy the disc and rip it for a backup.  Then there will be no
> > > DRM and your not a criminal.
> >
> > In the spirit of the comic, ripping it makes you a criminal in that you
> > had to violate the DMCA in order to (break the DRM to) rip it.
>
> CDs don't have DRM.

I must have missed that we were talking about music CDs, I believe you can
legally rip those in the USA, as long as you are doing so for "fair use"
reasons.

Of course Sony believes that you must accept a rootkit on your machine in
order to play the disk:-) I'm not so sure I would trust them when they say
they stopped that anti-social behavior.

Of course, IANAL.