[mythtv-users] Fixing overscan

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Dec 10 18:58:04 UTC 2009

> My TV is nominally 1366x768.  However, it actually displays around 1280x680
> pixels, the rest is lost.  In the past, I've twiddled with the modelines,
> but my TV (a Sharp Aquos) is notoriously finicky and has all sorts of sync
> issues if the modeline isn't exact.  So I'm back to losing the outer bit of
> my images.

My Sharp Aquos is pixel perfect. No overscan, and there shouldn't be
"overscan" on any LCD (overscan meaning part of the screen that is
physically not visible). However, many LCDs will do a stretch mode on
the display, but most will let you turn this off. On Aquos TVs (or at
least on mine) this is not actually settable anywhere in the TVs menu
(as far as I can tell), but the remote has a "View Mode" button for
this. The value you are looking for is "dot by dot" (default is
"stretch").

--
Ron
Ronald Frazier Photography - http://www.ronfphoto.com/