[mythtv-users] IONITX-C tearing 1080p

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 15:17:39 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Bobby Schwartz <rschwartz at lastar.com> wrote:
>> I agree that having sync to vblank is likely not helpful.
>> The VDPAU readme says something to the effect that the Triplebuffer
>> option allocates more memory to 2D buffers (by stealing it from the 3D
>> buffer pool). Doing this should be helpful for our use case.
>> Otherwise I don't understand when this switch might be useful.
>>
>> Using it  did seem to decrease the odd 'jumpiness' I experienced with
>> 1080i streams back when the 180 series of drivers were new.
>> I haven't actually tested whether there is a difference with the newer
>> drivers. I have just left it enabled.
>> And I have no tearing, so obviously my version of the magic
> incantation
>> does not need to be touched. YMMV of course!
>>
>> If someone does test, please post.
>> Geoff
>>

> I did find that adding No Composite to xorg.conf cleaned up tearing
> quite a bit.  It took me from "it's watchable" to "that's pretty good."
>
> My setup right now:
> HD-PVR output (h.264 @ 1080i)
> Zotac IONITX (Atom 230, GeForce 9400) passively cooled
> 1920x1080 output resolution
> OpenGL vSync is OFF
> VDPAU w/ Advanced 1x deinterlacing
> TripleBuffer setting is absent
>
> I added the following section to xorg.conf.  Obviously you have to
> restart X.
>
> Section "Extensions"
>    Option         "Composite" "Disable"
> EndSection

I've got the same settings (basically) and they work great for me too.

Say - when you set the Composite to Disable in xorg.conf, did you
notice the pretty X windows splash screen no longer draws all pretty?
I see a white rectangle from the upper left corner for a few moments
during bootup now. It seems that changing this setting causes the
slash animations to not render as smoothly, at least for xfce in
MythBuntu 9.10.

I'm gonna play with other window managers until I find one that is
lightweight and loads without strange issues. It makes it seem jankity
which isn't the demo of MythTv I'm trying to give to my guests.

-JJ