[mythtv-users] Rogers On Demand On line launched

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 10 14:56:49 UTC 2009

On Thursday 10 December 2009 07:46:50 am Tom Lichti wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Norm <mlists at dressler.ca> wrote:
> > Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> >> Wow - what's the URL?  Does that mean I can just be a regular High-
Speed
> >> customer (not digital cable TV customer) and view channels?
>
> You have to be a cable TV customer, and I believe you will only be
> able to access channels that you subscribe to.
>
> >> Is it more compressed than regular ondemand TV channels?
> >> Of course this will jam up the cable modem, and use up the rogers
> >> transfer cap pretty quickly....
>
> Yes and yes.

Since the data is presumably coming from and going to machines in their
own system, I'd think that the data cap shouldn't apply, they are not having
to purchase internet-wide bandwidth to support this, or maybe that's the
idea: make people use up their allowance with "cheap" data, and take some
load off their interconnect to the rest of the world.

We all know cable systems have oversold their data capacity, if every data
customer started streaming Hulu at once they would be in serious trouble,
maybe they have finally figured this out and are trying to prevent that sort
of thing.