[mythtv-users] best forum for MythTV?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 21:11:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:04 AM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Ron Garrison <ron.garrison at gmail.com
>> <mailto:ron.garrison at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 8:06 AM, Phill Wiggin <alamar at gmail.com
>>    <mailto:alamar at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>     >
>>     > On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Dave <dave at davestechshop.net
>>    <mailto:dave at davestechshop.net>> wrote:
>>     >>
>>     >> Is http://www.mythtvtalk.com/forum the "official" forum for the
>>    MythTV
>>     >> project?
>>     >>
>>     >> What is the best web forum? Thanks
>>     >
>>     > There is no "official" forum for MythTV. The Devs have made it
>>    clear that
>>     > all "official" support is via the mailing lists.
>>     >
>>     > I'm sure there's plenty of good information on that forum, but it
>>    is by no
>>     > means "official".
>>     >
>>     > _______________________________________________
>>

>>    I use gmail for my mailing lists.   It organizes by subject and has a
>>    good search.  Now after years on the list it's like having a web
>>    forum.  The mailing list is also archived (pipermail I believe).  So
>>    you can always search history.
>>
>>    Ron
>>
>> I use gmail. Did you set up any filters or labels, or do anything else to
>> make this work well for you?
>> (I had actually been thinking about learning how to set up a postfix mail
>> server because people talk about how well that solution works for managing
>> email from lists.)
>
> Use thunderbird; set up filters on the Subject line to put all mythtv-users
> posts in a separate folder; problem solved.
> Doesn't gmail have filters? I thought I read that somewhere.

It has "labels" and "filters". On a mailing list message you will see
a "filter messages like this" option. If you don't want your inbox
cluttered up do "skip inbox" and "apply label mythtvusers". The label
works like a folder, except you can apply more than one. For example I
have a mythtvusers label and a mythtvusers-me label. I use the latter
to filter messages that are to this list AND from me. When a message
has a label applied, the whole thread (or 'conversation' in
gmail-speak) is attached. Therefore my mythtvsers-me folder has all
the threads I have contributed to, making it easier to track threads I
have an interest in.