[mythtv-users] The Boxee Box

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 15:43:29 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 December 2009 08:32:17 am Johnny Walker wrote:
> over
>> >
>> > HDMI.

> do
> changer.
>> >
>> > Maybe. It seems it does not do Netflix - "yet":
>> >
>> > http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/12/09/1323250/D-Links-New-Boxee-
> Box-
>> > Runs-Linux-Eyes-Netflix
>>
>> I installed Boxee last night - due to a thread on this list - and I
>> was disappointed: I was unable to find a way to get to Stargate SG-1
>> Season 6 - I only saw Application - Hulu Feeds - and then they had
>> most of Season 9.
>>
>> I didn't bother testing the graphics acceleration in that app when I
>> wasn't able to get sufficient control of the content.
>>
>> I'll stick to running hulu-desktop as an EXEC from the TV menu in
>> MythTv - luckily my main frontend has enough power to run hulu-desktop
>> even without vdpau built into the flash module in linux. (Dead horse)
>>
>> I should just do what I've threatened and download the series and
>> stream em in MythVideo and be done with it.
>
> Is the series not available for purchase on DVDs? That would be my first
> action if I really wanted it.

No offense to the series creators and people that worked really hard
on it - but while I'm finally getting around to watching these, they
really aren't gonna get watched twice. At least - not by me. It's no
Star Trek.

It's really like Methadone to replace the whole Star Trek has left in my life.

On a MythTv related note - the 25th Anniversary Star Trek special that
was on last Saturday received an EPIC FAIL in the Commercial Detection
department. I was bragging on it to my partner when I was suddenly
watching an ad for disposable razor sharpeners and Snuggies (which I
swear are surplus Cult Member Robes)

-JJ