[mythtv-users] The Boxee Box

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 15:32:17 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 December 2009 07:38:22 am Matt Emmott wrote:
>> The Boxee Box has been announced. It's a small D-link device similar to a
>> Popcorn Hour or Roku box that runs Boxee and outputs to your TV over
> HDMI.
>>  I watched part of the webcast last night and they claim it's fully open
>>  source inside and out, and will retail for around $200. No mention of the
>>  xPUs yet but if it really can do full Hulu, Netflix etc then one would
>>  think it would be beefy enough to run a Myth FE. A box that can do full HD
>>  and flash streaming for $200 sounds to me like a game changer. Or am I
>>  assuming too much?
>
> Maybe. It seems it does not do Netflix - "yet":
>
> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/12/09/1323250/D-Links-New-Boxee-Box-
> Runs-Linux-Eyes-Netflix

I installed Boxee last night - due to a thread on this list - and I
was disappointed: I was unable to find a way to get to Stargate SG-1
Season 6 - I only saw Application - Hulu Feeds - and then they had
most of Season 9.

I didn't bother testing the graphics acceleration in that app when I
wasn't able to get sufficient control of the content.

I'll stick to running hulu-desktop as an EXEC from the TV menu in
MythTv - luckily my main frontend has enough power to run hulu-desktop
even without vdpau built into the flash module in linux. (Dead horse)

I should just do what I've threatened and download the series and
stream em in MythVideo and be done with it.

-JJ