[mythtv-users] multiple network boot diskless frontendswith seperate configurations?

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 05:37:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Bobby Schwartz <rschwartz at lastar.com> wrote:
>>> The information is out there but it is well hidden.
>>> On mythbuntu 0.21 each FE's MAC address is used for an independent
>> file
>>> repository for that FE, on the BE.  On 0.21 you can just do
>>> it.
>>> Also note multiple diskless FE's will likely need more HDD file space
>>> allocation over a default setup.
>>> On 0.22 apparently one has to do this from the command line however
>>> I've not figured that out yet, perhaps someone can clarify?
>>
>> I'm a Mythbuntu fanboy and this writeup really got me off the ground:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/Hardy/Diskless

This was indeed very helpful - I personally also needed to use
http://www.etherboot.org/wiki/twodhcpservers since I have a Mac
Airport Router which will not allow me to Disable or sufficiently
control the dhcp server. It was no problem to add another to my
network since the PXE stack (evidently) ignores the dhcp server not
sending a filename option. (genius)

I thought diskless boot was going to take more then 24 hours to get
rolling. I guess I'm wrong again.

This mailing list is the best thing I've joined in long time. Thanks guys.

-JJ