[mythtv-users] HD-PVR & Patch 6719 Problem

Ron Garrison ron.garrison at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 16:57:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Ron Garrison <ron.garrison at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a problem using patch 6719.  Without it (and the other patches
> mentioned in the hd-pvr wiki),  my hd-pvr is unstable.  Therefore it
> is defenitely needed.  However,  with it applied,  when I change
> channels too quickly (i.e. channel up 2+ times in a row without
> waiting for the channel to change first) on my pvr-250 , I get the
> following error pop-up: "Error opening jump program file buffer", and
> sometimes a backend segntation fault.  Without it applied, I can
> change channels on my pvr-250 to my hearts desire (but of course, the
> hd-pvr is now not usable).
>
> BTW - I also tried changing the source to the hd-pvr then hitting ch
> up 2+ times quickly like above, and it hangs there too, though I don't
> get the jump buffer  message.  I can hit exit and get back to the main
> menu and get back in at this point though.
>
> Any suggestions on how to deal with this?  I assume it has something
> to do with this statement made in the ticket: "Note: With this change,
> any pre-existing external channel change scripts which ran in the
> background, must be modified to run in the foreground.",  but there is
> no "external" change script for the pvr-250.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.
>
> I normally change channels using the guide, but my son likes to
> channel change between a couple of channels close to each other using
> channel up/down.  He will almost daily kill the backend at least once.
>
> Ron

Well my work-around for now is to put the channel changing in browse
mode.  I still get a backend crash from time to time, but not nearly
as much as before.

Looks like I need to dig into the patch myself to see what's going on,
as things are very stable (other than I can't use the hd-pvr) without
it.

Ron