[mythtv-users] Mythtv FE in a frequent power loss environment

Jason Spears shadestalker at thatsmystapler.org
Tue Dec 8 15:29:06 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Rajil Saraswat <rajil.s at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to setup a front-end in an environment where power
> failure are a norm. The plan is to have a UPS for the backend so that
> it cleanly shutdown but the frontend will be on its own.
>
> So is it ideal to go for a diskless frontend (nfs mounted backend)?
> What happens when FE is alive and a power failure occurs, will it
> corrupt the backend filesystem.

It doesn't directly address your question, but would an Ion based netbook be
a good fit here?  No UPS required, short outages can be survived, and you
can setup automatic shutdown on low battery.

Does a mythtv FE need to write to the recordings / videos directories?  If
not, I'd just mount ro and not worry about it at all.  My uneducated guess
is that the only thing a FE should need to do is update the current position
as a recording is watched.

Jason