[mythtv-users] The Boxee Box

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Dec 8 14:52:50 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 07:38:22 am Matt Emmott wrote:
> The Boxee Box has been announced. It's a small D-link device similar to a
> Popcorn Hour or Roku box that runs Boxee and outputs to your TV over
HDMI.
>  I watched part of the webcast last night and they claim it's fully open
>  source inside and out, and will retail for around $200. No mention of the
>  xPUs yet but if it really can do full Hulu, Netflix etc then one would
>  think it would be beefy enough to run a Myth FE. A box that can do full HD
>  and flash streaming for $200 sounds to me like a game changer. Or am I
>  assuming too much?
>
> Some info and pictures at
> http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/07/boxee-box-coming-q2-2010-d-link-
revealed
> -as-hardware-partner/

Not really a game changer, it can be done today. I use the PlayOn server
($30) to serve up Hulu, Netflix etc. to any UPnP/DLNA capable device. It
works quite well and looks pretty good on an X-Box 360, PS3, D-Link
DSM-520, a Myka and others.

Netflix can be done for $99 using their Roku box.

But it's certainly an interesting device, similar in capability and cost to
the Myka unit.

It's almost certainly using something like the Sigma chip, the drivers for
which are NOT open source AFAIK. You need an NDA to even look at the
code.

If the device is truly completely open source, I'm definitely interested.