[mythtv-users] vdpau video card thoughts (512mb pci-e 9500gt?)

Alan Marchiori alan at alanmarian.com
Tue Dec 8 05:29:37 UTC 2009

After the last thread on the GT 220 cards, I was tempted to update but
I couldn't find a GT 220 that had everything I wanted.

The best I can find at the moment is a ZOTAC ZT-95TEH3P-HSL GeForce
9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500072
for $49.99

According to the wiki the 9500gt almost does advanced 2x, but the "
(occasional stutter, skip_chroma helps)" isn't very encouraging.  But
temporal 2x does work.

I like this card because it is
1) fanless (not a requirement but a plus)
2) has dvi, hdmi, & component outputs
3) has the spdif internal connector

Should I wait for a GT 220 to have all these features, or go with the 9500?

Also, since the memory requirements are now >=512mb, should I go for a
1 GB card to support future improvements?  Or is 512mb all the video
ram I'll ever need?