[mythtv-users] Aspect ratio problem on recording playback

Mariano Goluboff goluboff+mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 03:06:44 UTC 2009

I just added a GT210 video card to my Ubuntu 9.10, mythtv 0.22 box. Before I
was using on-board video and going out the S-video port with 800x600
resolution.

Now I'm going out the HDMI port with 1920x1080 resolution. The Ubuntu
desktop works beautifully. The MythTV interface and playing videos works
great too.

The problem is playing back recordings. They are played back at 4:3 aspect
ratio with black bars on the sides. Hitting "w" changes the aspect
ratio/zoom modes but all within the 4:3 box in the middle of the screen.

Any ideas on why videos would play on the whole screen (16:9), but
recordings only play back on a 4:3 box in the middle of the screen?

Thanks,
Mariano