[mythtv-users] Deleted Group has 73 recordings? delete not working?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 8 02:21:00 UTC 2009

On 12/07/2009 03:31 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 7/12/2009 6:24 PM, Paul wrote:
>> I was just browsing Recorded programs with MythWeb and I noticed I
>> have 73 recordings in the Deleted group.
>>
>> Does this mean Delete is not working?
>>
>> Is this a known issue?
> I've found the cause , it must have been a new 0.22 default , I
> reviewed the new setting which moves to Deleted Group, but the Max Age
> for this group was = 0 so I set this to 1 day
>
> Perhaps the original setting is not a reasonable default , I think it
> should be either deleted immediately or the Max Age should be set to 1 day

Deleted Max Age
When set to a number greater than zero, AutoExpire will force expiration
of Deleted recordings when they are this many days old.

Its default is 0.  It existed in 0.21 (it was added during the 0.20-0.21
development cycle just a couple of months after the "Auto Expire Instead
of Delete Recording" option).

The default /must/ be 0, though, because we don't want to delete
/anything/ at all unless a) the user tells us to or b) we have to delete
something to make room for new recordings.

In truth, though, the setting isn't very useful as permanently deleting
the recordings in the deleted recording group has no benefit at
all--it's equivalent to telling the Linux kernel to not use RAM to cache
disk contents.  It made sense at the time that the setting was added
because users with full disks had no idea how much space was consumed by
Deleted recordings, but that information (and information about how much
space is used by LiveTV and auto-expirable recordings) is now reported
in the backend status page (and will be reported in the frontend's
System Status page "soon").

So, by telling your system to permanently delete any Deleted recordings
after 1 day, you're saying, "There's no possibility whatsoever that I
may reconsider whether I should have deleted that recording after the
first 24 hours."

Unused storage is wasted storage.

Mike