[mythtv-users] Anyone using smb -> nas for storage?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Dec 7 16:48:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 9:42 AM, James Pifer <jep at obrien-pifer.com> wrote:

> I've been a myth user since the .14 days. I have one 0.21 back end on an
> old dual xeon dell server with three tuners (150, 250, and 350) and four
> frontends.
>
> I want to increase my storage space and I'm thinking about getting a
> NAS. I'm looking at this one:
> http://www.ecost.com/Detail.aspx?edp=47033694
>
> Looks like I would have to mount the drive using smb. Just wanted to see
> if others are successfully doing this and if there are any issues I
> should be aware of?

I store all my data on a file server. I'm using NFS, but I did try smb and
it works fine. I did it with autofs. There are a ton of good webpages
describing how to set it up if you've never done it before. I went that way
as NFS mounts with fstab would occasionally die and it wouldn't try to
re-connect them. So I would have to do it manually or reboot the system.
autofs takes care of all that for you. I did find it helpful to make
symlinks to the autofs mount points as you need to know them before the
mount will work properly.