[mythtv-users] Where did my network go?

Mark Garland mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk
Sun Dec 6 22:58:10 UTC 2009

> Can't think why it would affect a response time though.

When I first set up my combined FE/BE, it was on a wireless network.
I configured this using /etc/network/interfaces, and gave it a static IP.
Then, in the myth-setup, I configured the backend with this same static IP.

Randomly, I would then get lockups - playback would die and then would come
back to life some 5 minutes later without me touching a thing.

It was after lots of searching that I discovered that when the wireless
network dropped out, the machine didn't know its own IP, and pings to the
static IP from the machine itself would fail.  Hence, the frontend/backend,
even though they were on the same machine, couldn't find each other.
After a timeout, the wireless would pick back up, the machine would know its
IP, the frontend could once again find the backend, and off we'd go again
until the next dropout.

Setting the IP to 127.0.0.1 in the myth-setup program solved this.

I wonder if something similar is happening here....?

MG