[mythtv-users] vnc on headless backend

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sun Dec 6 02:42:47 UTC 2009

On 12/05/2009 09:32 PM, Michael Lemstad Maymann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a headless 9.10 backend that I would like to connect to with
> vncviewer to primarily run mythtv-setup once in a while.
> When I disconnect my monitor it fails with:
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>
> Have anyone done this or know how I could do it ?

VNC allows you access to the X session you have running.  When you
disconnect your monitor, X doesn't come up running.

Instead, look at vnc-server.  You can setup virtual X sessions (without
any real monitor session) that can be connected to via VNC from other
machines.  Perhaps this is what you want?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net