[mythtv-users] 'powerline' ethernet experience?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 03:40:57 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 10:32 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2009, at 2:25 PM, Travis Tabbal wrote:
>
>> Wow.. That sucks. How about running it behind the baseboards? It's labor
>> intensive, but you can use a router to cut a little slot on the back to run
>> the cable in. I've also heard of people fishing cable under a carpet. If you
>> get it under the pad it might not be offensive to the feet. Let me guess,
>> tile flooring? :)
>
> I'm an apartment dweller, and I've had great success just tucking the cable
> between the carpet and the baseboard.  There's a gap there that one or two
> CAT5 cables will slide right into and disappear.  I still have to use those
> ugly rubber cable protector things where it crosses doorways, though.
>
> Routing grooves into the backs of the baseboards actually might be
> viable...I've seen it done for stealth network cable installs in a building
> I work in (don't ask.)
>
> Alternatively, if the problem is just that the 802.11b/g wireless channels
> in the neighborhood are too crowded for good throughput, there's always
> 802.11a...

I lucked out, the last remodel ran CAT5E for the phone lines. we don't
have a landline (all cell's) so we co-opted them for our house
ethernet. They were even nice enough to run a line to the basement so
I can put the mythbackend and fileserver down there where it stays
cool year round and can make as much noise as it wants.

--
Steve
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:Steveadeff