[mythtv-users] 'powerline' ethernet experience?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sat Dec 5 03:32:11 UTC 2009

On Dec 4, 2009, at 2:25 PM, Travis Tabbal wrote:

> Wow.. That sucks. How about running it behind the baseboards? It's
> labor intensive, but you can use a router to cut a little slot on
> the back to run the cable in. I've also heard of people fishing
> cable under a carpet. If you get it under the pad it might not be
> offensive to the feet. Let me guess, tile flooring? :)

I'm an apartment dweller, and I've had great success just tucking the
cable between the carpet and the baseboard.  There's a gap there that
one or two CAT5 cables will slide right into and disappear.  I still
have to use those ugly rubber cable protector things where it crosses
doorways, though.

Routing grooves into the backs of the baseboards actually might be
viable...I've seen it done for stealth network cable installs in a
building I work in (don't ask.)

Alternatively, if the problem is just that the 802.11b/g wireless
channels in the neighborhood are too crowded for good throughput,
there's always 802.11a...