[mythtv-users] 'powerline' ethernet experience?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 22:40:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Kevin Ross <kevin at familyross.net> wrote:
> In my case, the gas furnace and water heater are in the garage, on the
> opposite side of the house from where I needed the wiring.  And there is no
> crawl space under the house.  The house is on a concrete slab, which is
> something I hate about modern house construction.

In case this helps.  My house is also on a concrete slab.  I ran a
cable from the garage up through a closet and into the attic.  I hired
an electrician to install an electrical outlet in the attic (under one
hour job), and put an 8-port switch in the attic.  Four of the ports
run cables down into the upstairs bedrooms, and the remaining three
cables exit the attic to the outside through a vent, run down the side
of the house, and reenter at various points.  The house is stucco so I
needed a masonry drill bit, and of course you want to seal the hole
after the cable is in place.  Those three cables require outdoor-rated
cable, which is even more expensive than plenum-rated.

Jim