[mythtv-users] FCC admits CableCARD a failure, vows to try something else

Alan Marchiori alan at alanmarian.com
Fri Dec 4 21:40:28 UTC 2009

> what is allowed to access the stream outside of the tuner device. The tuner
> output is unencrypted MPEG2 or h264 along with any status information

you'll never get unencrypted output.  given that fact I'd be happy if
the data stream was tied to my hardware or better yet a private key
that is stored online, so I could 'login' from any stb and playback
any stream I had recorded.  Then the content owners would know exactly
who/where is watching their content too.  And I'd be happy.   I think
this has been discussed before, but then if the content provider
required you to watch ads or whatever they could temporarily revoke
your access until you watch the mandated ads.  (that would be annoying
to me, but if it makes the broadcaster happy, I can live with that).