[mythtv-users] 'powerline' ethernet experience?

Chris Adams rocket at extremelan.net
Fri Dec 4 02:45:13 UTC 2009

Powerline networking sucks.

I have 3 powerline ethernet adapters (the Netcomm 85mbps version) in
my house - one in the bedroom for the ADSL, one in the study, and one
for the HTPC/xbox/NAS. Its real-world performance on the (admittedly
old) wiring here is 15mbps, and it seems to be shared, so file
transfers will choke off your internet bandwidth.

It's more reliable than a wireless link, but it still drops out under
heavy load. Plus on my adapters the jacks aren't soldered to the
boards well and you need to leave them "just so" or they'll lose their
link.

So if your "difficulty" running cat5/6 is landlord-related as it is in
my case, I strongly recommend negotiating with your property
manager/landlord to get an electrician in and have the cables run. You
were going to spend money on powerline adapters, why not spend the
same amount doing it properly? Your landlord benefits because the
house becomes more attractive to future tenants, and your file
transfers won't take 6 hours.