[mythtv-users] cards vs sources vs inputs confusion, problems and possible bugs

Petr Stehlik pstehlik at sophics.cz
Fri Dec 4 00:04:01 UTC 2009

R. G. Newbury píše v Čt 03. 12. 2009 v 18:17 -0500:
> Of COURSE! the computer should know better. So should your elected
> representative, but it does not always work that way.

Luckily the computer software can be hacked, contrary to elected
representatives.

> In one sense you *are* correct. The computer does know which tuner is in
> use, but that data is not presented in a (presently) usable way.

I don't agree. Myth internally handles the multiple tuners and/or
multiple recordings properly. Only the live TV channum handling seems to
be handled incompletely.

My amateur suggestion that would hopefully work: when user selects a
channum (either by browse mode or directly) don't ask myth to tune to
that channum _on_the_current_tuner_ but instead:

1) find out the current program on that channum using EPG data
2) ask the scheduler to suggest the best tuner for recording that
program
3) tune live TV to that tuner

That's it.

It would of course be possible to do manually, i.e.:
1) find out all chanids that share the selected channum
2) figure out the tuners that can tune those chanids
3) pick up the best free tuner from the list of available tuners using
some live TV specific logic that would probably duplicate the existing
scheduler logic...

Would a developer join here and correct me, please?

Petr