[mythtv-users] Any Asus Aspire Revo Users Out There? SOLVED

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Thu Dec 3 23:15:02 UTC 2009

Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
>>> 2) Are you sure that the HDMI port on your TV is correctly reporting
>>> that it supports audio?  Again, I don't know where to look nor what to
>>> look for to verify this, but perhaps others on this list can point you
>>> in the right direction.
>> That thought occurred to me just last night. My xorg.conf file is setup to
>> *ignore* EDID stuff so I can output a fixed resolution. This allows me to make
>> remote changes and reboot the MythTV host without the TV needing to be powered
>> on and providing EDID information:
>>
>>    Option      "UseEDID" "false"
>>    Option      "ModeValidation"
>> "NoEdidModes,NoEdidDFPMaxSizeCheck,NoMaxSizeCheck,NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck
>> NoEdidMaxPClkCheck,NoMaxPClkCheck,
>> AllowNon60HzDFPModes,NoVertRefreshCheck,NoHorizSyncCheck"
>
> Try getting rid of the "UseEDID false" line.  That solved my
> audio-over-HDMI woes when I was struggling with it.  I believe that by
> completely ignoring EDID, the driver is also ignoring the fact that
> the display says it can accept audio, so the driver doesn't send
> audio.  My relevant lines are:
>
>     Option         "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
>     #Option         "UseEDID" "False"
>     Option         "ModeValidation" "NoWidthAlignmentCheck,
> NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"

We have a winner! Commenting out the Option "UseEDID" "False" line allows
sound to flow out the HDMI port. Jim, Ryan Seacrest will be at your house
shortly with an oversize novelty check and a van full of balloons. Many thanks.

MythTV is working with the "ALSA:plughw:0,3" syntax.
Mplayer is working with "ao=alsa:device=hw=0.3" in the config file.

Now I get to figure out the whole audio encoding pass-through thing. My first
couple of tries at recordings gave me static. After UN-checking the
passthrough options in Myth, the sound came back. Obviously, this Asus
computer monitor doesn't offer AC3 or DTS decoding. I suspect that once I get
this plugged into the flat screen TV, I'll be able to turn those options back on.

Many thanks to one and all!

Kirk