[mythtv-users] multiple network boot diskless frontendswith seperate configurations?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 20:01:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Bobby Schwartz <rschwartz at lastar.com> wrote:
>> The information is out there but it is well hidden.
>> On mythbuntu 0.21 each FE's MAC address is used for an independent
> file
>> repository for that FE, on the BE.  On 0.21 you can just do
>> it.
>> Also note multiple diskless FE's will likely need more HDD file space
>> allocation over a default setup.
>> On 0.22 apparently one has to do this from the command line however
>> I've not figured that out yet, perhaps someone can clarify?
>
> I'm a Mythbuntu fanboy and this writeup really got me off the ground:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/Hardy/Diskless
>
> The basic idea is that you have a starting image + an overlay for each
> system (based on MAC address.)  Each system mounts a read-only copy of
> the starting chroot and then mounts a pivot copy of its own settings.
> Eveything is stored on the diskless server.  If you ever desire you can
> purge the overlay for any specific system and that system will revert
> back to the initial chroot.  You may also modify the chroot and all
> systems will get the change.
>
> In Mythbuntu most of the setup is handled through a distro package.
>
> There are still some bugs and rough spots that I haven't worked through
> yet.  And I'm definitely very green at this type of setup.  But like I
> said, that link got me 90% of the way there.  Mythbuntu 9.10 has MythTV
> 0.22.

ah, ok, I get it now!

so basically I should set up one computer with everything I want
*both* to have, then move the "overlay" onto the ltsp  /i386 folder
and recreate the image for the machines to boot off. Then each will by
default have their own settings via the overlay thing. To quote a
popular commercial, "Genius!".

Thanks for clearing this all up for me!

--
Steve