[mythtv-users] HD-PVR: Encoding Errors Running 0.22

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed Dec 2 17:45:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 12:35:37AM -0700, Alan Young wrote:
> >I'm going to try to increase timeout that first and see what happens.
>
> I made that change and some other changes to make the function similar to the
> .21 fixes patch.  That seemed to reduce the flickering somewhat and also
> allowed a couple of recordings to make it all the way through.  I've attached
> the patch to this email.
>
> A couple of other thoughts...
>
> Is your CPU single core or multi core?  If multi, are you using irqbalance?

I've used an Athlon 64 X2 3600+ and a Pentium E5200.  Both are dual
core and I don't use irqbalance.

> Is your system using cpufreq?  If so, which scaling governor are you using?

No.

Alan, I think the main problem you and Jeremy are seeing is the hdpvr
can be finicky with some USB chipsets/motherboard implememtations.  I
had some issues which cleared up when I switched my backend from an
ATI 790 based system to an Intel P43 based system.

Of course, I still see periodic hangs and restarts when using the
spdif input.  I researched that yesterday and that's a known problem
even with the Windows drivers.  The cause is probably incorrect audio
encoding upstream or flaky audio output on the STB.  Either way, it
looks like I will have to use the analog audio input if I want
glitch-free video.

David
--
David Engel