[mythtv-users] Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Dec 2 14:42:31 UTC 2009

On Dec 2, 2009, at 8:58 AM, Bobby Schwartz wrote:

>>> I retrieved the firmware last night.  I'm back in Ubuntu land now.
>>> Fedora was able to pick up the zilog chip but Ubuntu still doesn't.
>> The
>>> zilog module initializes then it just kinda sits there and looks at
>> me.
>>> I picked apart the HD-PVR V4L and Lirc drivers trying to find what's
>>> broken.  It looks like the ir_probe() method in lirc_zilog.c never
>> runs.
>>> Conversely by watching dmesg I can see it runs after the init method
>> in
>>> Fedora.  As best I can tell something deeper in lirc is responsible
>> for
>>> calling that.  I'm not sure where to look next.
>>
>> I can't rightly recall... What exactly are you running for a kernel,
> an
>> hdpvr driver and an lirc_zilog driver? Daniel K. has this working on
> an
>> Ubuntu system, and you've now proven that it works with your hardware
>> under Fedora. So it seems you're probably missing a patch to either
> the
>> hdpvr driver or the lirc_zilog driver.
>
> I'm running the stock Mythbuntu Kernel 2.6.31.  For the HDPVR I
> downloaded V4L trunk from Hg and applied your patch to it.

Which one? :)

Daniel had success using the exact patches that are in the Fedora kernel tree.

> For lirc I
> pulled down the patched bits from your git tree.  If you can't think of
> anything else to check I'll try to find a box I can cleanly install on.
> If it's not the drivers/patches it could be something about my install.
>
> I also extracted the drivers' source from Fedora and diff'd them against
> my source.  Aside from some refactoring I wasn't able to find anything
> obvious that's missing.

Hm... What did "some refactoring" look like exactly? :) I think that what Daniel is running wound up matching what's in Fedora 100% (aside from the one extra patch that sets the name in the device struct properly, but that isn't strictly necessary if you have only one hdpvr). I'm currently at a loss as to what else it could be.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com