[mythtv-users] ION boards, 230 vs 330, fans?

Cool Frood aaranya+mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 14:41:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Greg Cope <gregcope at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 Nov 2009, at 14:50, JEDIDIAH <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>>
>>   Whether or not the fan in the Revo or other 330 based systems is
>> an issue is a matter of personal preference and how you deploy the unit.
>
> Worth mentioning that in my experience the revo 330 fan is no louder that a
> reasonable laptop.  Not silent, but virtually silent from a few metres away.
>
> I struggle to hear mine when at the other end of the room and this in in a
> quite location.
>
> If you want silent go for something fanless.  If you are willing to accept
> laptop levels of noise then I doubt you will be disapointed.

I agree.  I put together a small form-factor box with a Zotac Ion N330
mobo and I used the fan that came with it even though the manual says
that is is optional.  I figured that my machine is going to be sitting
in an entertainment centre cabinet with limited airflow so it would be
best if I do use the fan.  It's an open cabinet and yet the noise from
the heatsink fan and the power supply fan of the mini-ITX box are
barely perceptible.  Also I haven't had any overheating problems, not
even while compiling MythTV on both cores.