[mythtv-users] PCI-E ATSC (US) Card Recommendation

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Dec 1 21:30:24 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 01 December 2009 02:17:39 pm Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 10:22 -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> > An encoder takes something in and outputs MPEG, a decoder takes in
MPEG
> > and outputs something else.
>
> Y'all are arguing about orthogonal concepts.  One dude is talking about
> video (i.e. signal) encoder/decoders and another about MPEG
> encoder/decoders.
>
> signal -> video decoder -> mpeg encoder -> mpeg file
> mpeg file -> mpeg decoder -> video encoder -> TV

Essentially correct, but I thought the discussions specified "NTSC
encoder/decoder" and "MPEG encoder/decoder".

I think most of us understand the difference, but I can see where it could get
confusing.

NTSC encoders and decoders are things that most of us here don't get
involved with.

The reference to an NTSC encoder was actually referring to an NTSC tuner,
demodulator and decoder, meaning something that could turn an NTSC RF
signal into usable video.

But please, continue to keep us all honest :-)