[mythtv-users] PCI-E ATSC (US) Card Recommendation

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 19:48:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:25 AM, John Freer <john_freer at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks in advance...
>
> Could someone suggest a recent-model PCI-E x1 (the short slot) ATSC card
> that will work well on my FC12 box?
>
> My mobo is an Asus m4n78 pro
>
> Much appreciated!
>
> -----------------------------------
> John J Freer

I'll just add my two cents worth in.  I purchased a Hauppauge HVR-1800 which
is a PCIe x1 board with a single ATSC tuner.  I have it connected to a roof
top UHF antenna and I have been very pleased with it.  I also have an HD
HomeRun and while I had some problems with the HDHR in the beginning
(several years ago), I have never missed a recording on the 1800.  It
requires the v4l driver, which I am led to believe is in the 2.6.32 kernel;
however, I am still on the 2.6.28 kernel so I have compiled the driver from
source (not too hard).  I don't know how this sits in the Hauppauge line of
ATSC-capable tuners as related to price.  It also looks like this may have
been superceded by the HVR-1850.

The problems I had with my HDHR were all network related, which is why I
gave the edge to the 1800 since it relied on one less thing to go wrong.
 But in the HDHR's defense, I haven't missed any recordings off of it in the
past year.  It is very easy to set up.  No drivers necessary.

-- Ken E.