[mythtv-users] PCI-E ATSC (US) Card Recommendation

Alan Young ayoung at teleport.com
Tue Dec 1 19:25:12 UTC 2009

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2009, at 12:44 PM, Alan Young wrote:
>
>> I have the single tuner version of this card - the HVR 1250 - and it works just great for receiving OTA ATSC.
>
> The HVR-1250 is NOT the single-tuner version of the 2250. The 2250 has hardware encoders for the analog side, the 1250 doesn't. The HVR-1800 is more akin to the single-tuner version of the 2250 than the 1250.

Yes but the OP was asking about ATSC.

>> The only hitch that I ran into is I had to get a external antenna.  I'm a ways  out of town, so I needed that with the built in power amp to get any kind of signal.  If you're in a city, you might not need that.
>
> But that really has nothing at all to do with the choice of capture card, unless the driver is bonged in such a way that it only works with a really strong signal.

It can matter in the setup.  With this being a internal card, if the computer
is placed in a cabinet or closet somewhere that could hamper reception.  If
the OP were to go with a external HDHomeRun or USB based recorder, then that
could be located somewhere away from the computer in an area that may afford
better reception.

Alan