[mythtv-users] Single WD GP disk fast enough for live 720p?

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Tue Dec 1 05:50:14 UTC 2009

>That's pretty interesting.  I haven't tried any of the GP drives with
>Linux RAID, however I'm using six of the 1 TB GP drives in a 3ware
>hardware RAID array with no problems so far.

Yes, it's been fun ;-). It's worth googling any prospective disk purchase! If you search for the WD green power drives, you'll find a host of current discussions about problems with these drives in linux RAID (mostly linux based NAS boxes), very few of which are solved. Searching for Seagate, on the other hand, shows a number of firmware issues, but none of them very recent, which would suggest that the issues have been ironed out. I couldn't find much about problems with Samsung drives, suggesting that they're probably OK.

Cheers,

Jon