[mythtv-users] (US) Dump Comcast for a dish, good Mythtv decision?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Aug 31 18:00:56 UTC 2009

On 08/31/2009 09:29 AM, Christopher Meredith wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:20 AM, Dave Richardson wrote:
>
>> Since we had such a robust discussion last week about Comcast potentially
>> encrypting (and thus requiring "Boxes"), I wanted to float a question
>> about whether there's merit in dumping Comcast for a dish provider?  I
>> don't use Comcast for broadband or telephony, so it's only a content
>> viewing decision for me.
> So because you're upset about Comcast potentially requiring boxes, you're
> considering dumping them for a content provider that *does* require boxes?

FWIW, though, satellite providers have no option other than requiring
boxes/encrypting content as their "wires" go to every home in <specified
region> whereas cable companies have a level of physical security
provided by their cable infrastructure (and limiting which homes are
connected/receive signals across that infrastructure).  While we don't
see them on this list, there *are* people out there that would steal
service from satellite companies if the content was sent out unencrypted.

Mike