[mythtv-users] OT: Video card life span

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Aug 31 03:13:53 UTC 2009

On Sunday 30 August 2009 21:02:57 Bob wrote:
> I am averaging a new video card about every 18 months and wondered if I
> am doing something wrong.
>
> The first two cards were fanless, the current one has a fan.
>
> In all 3 cases, I am running the card at 1920x1080 24 hours a day (no
> screen saver, no DPMS, etc).  Could this be "burning out" the cards?

Shouldn't be, if your system case, fans and vent holes are properly designed
and capable of removing the heat they need to.

If you have a system with poorly designed cooling then the biggest heat
sources will probably fail first, and graphics cards are big heat makers.

Fanless cards require even more careful consideration of airflow through the
case.

24/7 operation also needs to be considered in the overall system design, radio
gear used to carry two specs, "CCS" and "ICAS" (Continuous Commercial
Service, Intermittent Commercial and Amateur Service), CCS needed better
cooling systems.

Given your history I'd suspect a poorly cooled system, or perhaps you have
broken a mirror in the last 7 years.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org