[mythtv-users] OT: Recommendation on Nvidia Card

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 02:54:11 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Greg Hermsen<g.hermy15 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anybody give me a recommendation on a low/mid level Nvidia card.  I'm
> looking for advice on something that:
>
> installs in Ubuntu/Mythbuntu through the standard synaptic package manager.
> doesn't require command line or compiling locally.
> supports s-video out.
>
> I recently upgraded the CPU/Mobo/graphics card and purchased purchased a
> GeForce 8600 GT because it was listed as being compatible with VDPAU.  I
> assumed that meant I'd be able to get it working in Ubuntu/Mythbuntu. I've
> uninstalled and reinstalled with ENV and synaptic in 8.04 and after
> upgrading to 8.10 and again after upgrading to 9.04.  I can't get the 8600
> GT working.  The best luck I've had with SVideo out has been old 5200
> cards.  Unfortunately, they are AGP and my new Mobo has a PCI-E slot, so I
> can't just swap.
>
> I looked on Newegg and they still have 5200's in PCI, but not in PCI-E.  In
> the PCI-E format, they list:
>
>    GeForce GTS 200
>    GeForce GTX 200
>    GeForce 9
>    GeForce 8
>
> I'm a little nervous about putting more money into something that may not
> fix my problem.  Has anybody had luck (ie: straightfoward install and
> config) with a newer generation Nvidia card?

I'm getting ready to try this myself.

I think you will either have compile locally,
OR, install a third party repository.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Vdpau#MythTV_0.21-fixes_and_Ubuntu_repository

Or you might try the Mythbuntu 9.10 alpha 4,

    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/mythbuntu/releases/karmic/alpha-4/

I don't know whether this is based on .21, .21-fixes, or .22.

--
Drew Einhorn