[mythtv-users] HD-PVR IR blaster

Jack Perveiler perveilerj at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 17:35:02 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 30 August 2009 12:40:19 Jack Perveiler wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 11:09 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com>
> wrote:

> compatible
> > >
> > > The IR part isn't yet fully functional under Linux. Should be soon
> > > though.
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > "Soon" as in a week or so, or "soon" as in any month now? :)  I'm
> certainly
> > no lirc contributer so please don't take the question as in ingrate being
> > impatient.
>
> Could be later today, could be a few weeks, depends on how messy the
> final details are and how much free time I have to work on it. Its a
> bit further complicated by some major i2c changes in 2.6.31, and the
> fact that I've got another neat project I'm working on that's quite
> honestly a whole lot cooler than making yet another IR part work... :)

Sure, I can understand that :)

> > I only ask because my current serial blaster has decided to become less
> > accurate since an update from mythbuntu 8.04 to 9.04 (drops about 1 in 15
> > digits now), and I'm in the market for a new blaster.  The iguanaworks
> one
> > didn't work for me, which leaves my options at either commandir ii for a
> lot
> > of money or hd-pvr for a little bit more (since it's on sale and with a
> > rebate, deal ends tomorrow).
>
> Or an mceusb transceiver + remote bundle for $20?

Yeah, it's been quite the saga for me (after my serial blaster started
getting sketchy, that is).  This was the first thing I tried... I bought one
cheap off of ebay and sure enough it ended up being the philips ehome
variety that doesn't blast under lirc (I get the "this hardware does not
support transmitting" message).  I just saw your post here though:

http://www.acetylcholine.com/node/6941

Maybe I'll give lirc cvs a try before I do anything else.

> > I've been following the hd-pvr updates for ir blasting threads over at
> the
> > sagetv forums.  It seems like they're having luck, but I think they use
> the
> > sage app to communicate with the i2c device instead of lirc.  Or maybe
> I'm
> > misinterpreting what they're saying.
>
> Are they doing that under Linux or Windows (of Mac OS X)? The i2c bus
> wasn't even exposed until a very recent patch that isn't even in the
> upstream v4l-dvb repo yet.

They're doing it under linux.  Looks like they started with a v4l-dvb repo
and they have instructions posted on how to edit the code to re-enable the
i2c adapter:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=370184&postcount=119

--Jack