[mythtv-users] Geforce 8600 S-Video Problems

MaverickTech Lists mavlist at mavericktech.com.au
Sat Aug 29 23:07:57 UTC 2009

I did an almost identical upgrade to you last weekend.

Unfortunately I ended up in the same situation as you.  After almost 15
hours solid work on the problem I came up blank, and reverted to my old
video card.

I also upgraded to Geforce 8600.

I am using Ubuntu 9.04 now.  And have MythTV compiled locally from SVN
release-0-21-fixes/

I initially encountered your problems with the resolution stuck in 'low
graphics mode'.  After reverting to the default proprietary nVidia
binary drivers in Ubuntu I was able to get the resolution up to 800x600,
and without errors during the startup.  I had previously been
downloading and installing nVidia drivers direct from the nVidia site.
when playing with the official ubuntu drivers, I have been using envy.
It's a great little util :)

Unfortunately this was only the still the beginning of my odyssey.

It appears that all support for overscan adjustment is gone from the
nVidia drivers in linux, for recent nVidia cards.  No matter what
version of driver I tried I could not adjust the overscan to bring the
image back within the confines of my TV/S-Video display.  The image so
so far out of the park that without some adjustment of overscan it was
not usable.  The overscan sliders are missing from the nvidia-settings
program, and any overscan related entries in xorg.conf seem to be
ignored these days.  Well, ignored on recent gfx cards.

I tried nVidia drivers  from 180 series, 177, 170, and back as far as
96, but got no success with overscan.

My system is running my new motherboard at the moment, it's been
upgraded to 9.04 ubuntu, but the gfx card has been reverted back to my
old card.  Seems unless something changes, my next upgrade will have to
be a new TV.

That's a brief account of my battle with the nVidia overscan problem
last weekend.  Happy to answer further questions if it will help.  Would
also welcome having it pointed out if I missed something stupidly
obvious during the install ;)

Regards,

Russell Smith

MaverickTech Solutions

If you make decisions for the right reasons at
the time, based on the facts at hand, you can
have no regrets.